Tuesday 15 April 2014

Ingredient Focus: Honey


Years of working for Lush Cosmetics has given me a great in-depth knowledge of natural 
ingredients and the effects they have on the skin and hair. No matter what problem you may
 have with your skin or hair, honey often holds the answer.

When used in cosmetics honey does so much more than provide a sweet smell.
 The nutrients in honey provide many benefits to us when consumed and used externally as part
 of a cosmetic product. I have outlined below the different cosmetic issues we might face and 
how honey can help.

Acne - Honey has been traditionally used as an acne treatment for years as it is
 naturally antibacterial and antiseptic. The antimicrobial effects of honey mean that it kills 
spot causing microbes and stops their growth. Goodbye spots, hello clear skin!

Dry skin - Honey is a natural humectant, which means that it attracts and retains moisture 
in the skin. This means that honey is really moisturising and soothing for both the skin and hair.

Ageing - Packed full of antioxidants, honey is great for skin that is showing signs of ageing.
 Antioxidants help slow down the ageing process, as well as helping protect from the damaging 
sun rays.

Dry, frizzy hair  - Hair will be nourished and enriched by honey. The emollient properties of 
honey make it a natural softener and it improves the condition of the hair follicle. This in turn 
encourages the hair to grow, leaving you with soft, long hair!

As if this wasn't enough honey is also naturally self-preserving, which means that the use of 
nasty chemicals are not needed in honey based cosmetics. There are lots of companies that use
 honey in their products (Lush being the main one), but honey is also great to use at home for 
D.I.Y masks etc. 

Do you love to use honey as a cosmetic? How do you use it?

4 comments :

  1. I love honey! It is one of the greatest food for skin too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree :) thanks for stopping by xx

      Delete
  2. I loved this post! I hope you do more of these as it's so unique. I never knew honey could be so useful - and never would have guessed it works on hair! I think you're so so lucky to work at Lush, it's my absolute favourite! I'm glad I found your blog on twitter :) Thanks for sending me your link!

    Jo xx

    She Wears Burgundy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thanks Jo! I will be doing a series of these posts - maybe lavender oil next.
      I'm so glad I found your blog too! My new fave :} xx

      Delete